In response to the Government's increased COVID measures, announced on 31/10/20, we currently expect to be closed throughout November.
Subscribe to our news feed or follow us on Facebook (see red buttons on the right of this page) for up to date information.
When we are next able to open, the following rules will apply:
(Updated : Sat 17 Oct, 9:00 pm)
While an individual is symptomatic and/or living in a household with a possible COVID-19 infection, or has been asked to isolate by NHS Test and Trace, they cannot attend any SAFC activities.
If you develop COVID symptoms within 14 days of attending SAFC, you must inform the club immediately. Those with whom you may have been in contact will then be informed, as will NHS Test and Trace.
There is an increase in transmission risk associated with participating in indoor group activity (even when social distancing is observed at all times). Anyone participating in SAFC activities should be clear that they are opting to participate in those activities at their own risk, and that they are physically and mentally able to do so.
- Every fencer MUST BOOK IN and HAVE RECEIVED A CONFIRMATION EMAIL for each weekly session via our our website.
>>>CLICK HERE TO BOOK<<<
NB:If you have not booked a place for the evening, you will NOT be able to fence.
Each week, the booking window opens on Monday at 09.00 and closes at 23.59 on the Wednesday. Confirmation emails are expected to be sent by midday on the day of training.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us before booking.
- Payments must be setup in advance, or at the latest when booking, and cannot be taken on the night.
NB. Unfortunately paying monthly or quarterly does not guarantee a place on any given training night. However, it does represent a significant saving against the £10 per night visitor fee.
- All BF memberships and Contact info held by the club must be up to date.
- Sessions will start at 20.00 and fencing must finish strictly at 21.45 - this is to allow adequate time to deal with club equipment.
- There are only 18 places available (excluding those on a Beginners' Course) per week. These will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis.
If the bookings are full and you wish to attend, contact the club and your name will be added to a waiting list.
Please do not book a place unless you are confident you will be able to attend. If you have to cancel, please let us know as soon as possible so we can re-allocate your place. Those cancelling on a regular basis may be prevented from booking further sessions.
- Fencers will be assigned to a piste and will be notified of this in advance, by email on Thursday. Please note your allocation before you arrive.
When you arrive at the club, you must go directly to your assigned piste. No-one may swap or visit other pistes during the evening.
- If you use the NHS Track & Trace app, the club's own QR code will be available for you to scan on entry to the gym.
- Whilst at the club, 2m distance must be maintained at all times & COVID face coverings must be worn when not fencing.
- Whilst sparring on piste and wearing a fencing mask, you are advised to wear a COVID face covering over your nose and mouth. If a COVID face mask is not used, a mask lining should be fitted inside your fencing mask.
Both Negrini and Leon Paul currently supply bespoke items. Other fencing manufacturers and retailers are supplying other types of mask, or you may improvise your own face covering inside your fencing mask.
(An article on the issues of wearing COVID face coverings whilst fencing was published in the July 2020 edition (p26) of The Sword Magazine.)
- If fencers need to borrow club equipment (eg beginners), you must contact us in advance and it will be provided on loan for the duration of this Covid period. Loan equipment must be laundered in accordance with BF guidelines.
It is your responsibility to ensure you arrive with all the necessary equipment (eg plastrons, spare body wires) as you will not be able to borrow equipment on the night that is not pre-booked.
- Changing rooms will not be available, so you must arrive at the gym dressed for fencing. Warm ups are to be done prior to attending or solo on the spot: there will be NO group warm up.
- No corps-a-corps, deliberate close quarter actions, flèching, or running attacks.
All weapon tests (weapon-on-lame or weapon-on-guard) should be conducted with masks in place. At the end of a bout, no handshakes / fist bumps etc - fencers should return to the en garde line and salute their opponent.
- Fencers are advised to bring their own hand sanitiser and first aid kit and maintain strict and frequent hand hygiene measures at all times.
- ONLY FENCERS will be allowed to enter the sports hall. Parents and carers need to drop off at the external door to the gym building and are requested to remain within 20 minutes of Marlborough School.
- Check our Facebook page and/or news feed for updates before you attend SAFC in case of any last-minute changes. There is also a club WhatsApp group chat, if you would like to be added to this please let us know.
NB: The club is keen to fence but we have a duty of care to our members and each other. Everyone is responsible for ensuring we attend, fence and behave sensibly, and all members need to buy into this way of working. If the structure we’ve set out does not work, or if we feel there is too much risk, or if the government, school or BF guidance change, we reserve the right to change the setup or cancel sessions.